Saturday, April 24, 2010

A Few Quick Notes 419

-For the second day in a row, after about five days of grey, we have blue skies. Though there is some suggestion that this may take a turn for the worse later today, I am hoping that we will be able to avoid precipitation until at least about midnight.

-I think that my Roll Up the Rim to Win record for this year 5/23, though it may have been 5/25 (at one point I was given an extra cup). Though this may not seem like much, I did much better that I should have and much better than I have done in past years. The major problem with my winnings this year were that they tended to be donuts instead of more useful prizes. In the end I think I gave away most of my winnings.

-Yesterday I was able to submit my exam marks, meaning that I have now (to the best of my knowledge) completed my grading for the semester. Though it hadn't really set in as of last night, I think I am now starting to feel a little more relaxed. One of the things that I seem to have learned from my recent grading experiences is that cursive is almost always more difficult to read than printing. Why school insist on teaching students cursive is beyond me. What might be gained in speed is certainly lost in legibility.

-I guess I should explain my noticeable internet silence of the past few weeks. It seems that I was engulfed in something a perfect storm of time commitments. First I had to kill of a number of school related tasks (mainly assignments and studying for an exam), while doing this I also had to deal with a variety of grading and RA responsibilities. Finally, social commitments, particularly that two friends stayed with us for 4 nights, managed to consume most of my remaining time. The time I had to devote to the internet was thus compromised (and because of this I am sure you were all saddened).

-Last night I had arranged to get together with Peter and just hang out for a while. After making these plans I learned that there was to be a conflicting poli sci grad student event that I felt obliged to attend. Peter agreed to take one for the team and accompany me to this event.

We finally arrived at the destination at about 8:30 (an hour and a half after the event was to have started) only to discover that the house appeared relatively dark. After a few minutes of hemming and hawing we finally decided to commit ringing the door-bell. Almost as soon as the host opened the door (maybe it was the look of surprise on her face) it became clear that the event was not tonight. Apparently the event was actually scheduled for tonight. I felt like a bit of an idiot, though also somewhat relieved as it meant that I didn't have to participate in a social engagement that I was entirely thrilled/sufficiently energized to attend. As Peter and I were walking away I suggested it was a 'party win.' (I should be clear that the reasons I didn't really want to attend relate to my level of exhaustion and not the host or other guests).

The best part, at least according me, was that when we got home I checked my email and found that the host had actually sent me emails indicating that it was on Friday (she even used the word 'Friday'). Of course, I don't know how to bring this up to her without sounding like a jerk, so I guess I will wear the shame of showing up on the wrong day for a while.

-Tonight, instead of attending the aforementioned potluck, I will be attending a retirement party for one of the professors in my department. The only problematic aspect of this event is that it is being hosted at a location somewhat far away from the centre of the city. So far I have been able to secure a ride to the event. I am hoping to arrange a ride back at while at the party, though if I fail on this front the back up plan is to walk the 4 km to the nearest bus stop. Can't wait.

-It seems that the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador accidentally expropriated an old paper mill. This just seems like something that should be so hard to do that it should never happen accidentally. This just seems to provide more evidence that this whole expropriation thing has been an ill-conceived mess since day one.

No comments: