Monday, April 26, 2010

Pita Bread

A few days ago I made a trip to the Gourmet Cash and Carry on Kempt Road. At the store I picked up a 10 kg bag of couscous, a 10 kg bag of basmati rice, about 10 packages of pappadums, 2 apple flavoured malt beverages, and a 6-pack of large pitas. This last purchase set me on quite a pita kick.

Not only did I consume most of the 6-pack of 15 inch pitas, but I have subsequently consumed the better part of 2 5-packs of average sized whole wheat pitas and a good chunk of 3 5-packs of averaged sized regular pitas.

Given my high rate of consumption of these past few days I thought it might be worth looking into making pitas (the relatively short list of ingredients on the packages made the task seem feasible). Also, yesterday Neil and I were talking about how the whole pocket development process works. So the not-surprising-conclusion to these developments was that I decided to make a (double) batch of pitas today.

I checked two recipe sources which both seemed to suggest similar recipes and indicated that the process was not particularly complicated.

Once I finally got down to things I was quite impressed and surprised with how quickly and easily the dough came together. After about an hour the dough had risen sufficiently for me to divide the dough and then allow it to rise again.



As I decided to make a double batch I ended up with 16 dough balls.



After allowing the dough balls to sit for about 20 minutes I rolled them out.



What was most impressive about the process was that the pitas quickly puffed up and separated.



Amazingly, after a relatively short baking process I had a nice stack of freshly baked pitas.



Given the seeming success of this batch of pitas I think I am somewhat inclined to try this recipe again. Next time I suspect I will go for a single batch though.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Looks great. Keep up the good work.