Saturday, July 11, 2009

Balcony Garden Update 4

After a month of rather poor weather, things recently turned to sun, which is presumably good for my plants. Amazingly, the plants continued to grow through our patch of rather poor weather. On the whole, I am really quite impressed with how things are looking. Considering the weather, and the growing conditions, I don't think I could expect much more from these plants (though I did have slightly higher hopes when the seeds were being planted).



As has been my habit, I will start with the top and work my way down and across.

One of the thunbergia seems to have finally taken off and started too look a bit like a vine. The other few plants seem to be growing a little more slowly. I guess I am just pleased that one of these has finally started to giv'er a little. I was starting to think that these were on the dud side of the plant world.



The scarlet runner beans that I planted in late May have finally started to come into their own. Relatively rapidly they are making their way along the guide strings I installed a few weeks ago. I am hoping that blooms appear in the very near future, though I imagine that such a development has been in part delayed because of the location of the plants and the fact that they have been hit with some pretty strong wind these past few weeks.



The banana has really started to take off these past few days. Not only are the recent top leaves much larger than previous leaves, they are growing more quickly. The most impressive/important recent development is the growth of two new shoots at the base of the plants. I imagine that if I knew how to do it, I could separate these from the main plant and start a second and third banana plant, which might be pretty neat. Maybe I will try to look into how I might go about such a split, it could be a worthwhile investigation.



The tomatoes seem to be putting on a few centimeters every few days, which I find quite impressive (especially given the sun shortage of the past month). Sadly, the things that look like the should eventually turn into blooms don't really seem to be making progress towards the bloom stage. I am hoping that the sun of the past few days will help on this front.



The peas are continuing to grow, though I don't seem to be providing them with adequate support. I am hoping that this isn't going to be too much of a problem as I don't really have a means of providing better support at the moment. Sadly, there are still no signs of peas as such, which should be that surprising if the information on the package can be trusted.



The previously spider mite infested pepper plant seems to be doing quite well, particularly with regards to overcoming the pest problem. Given the aforementioned infestation I am just pleased that this plant is alive and growing. Any fruit that it produces is a bonus, and a bonus that I have seen no signs of as yet.



The planter with beans has given me great personal satisfaction so far. I love walking out on the balcony in the morning and seeing that a number of the plants have grown and need to be wrapped around the string, or that their leaves are developing without blemish. Not surprisingly, I am hoping that these plants, both the scarlet runner beans and the yellow beans, are productive when it comes to bean production.



A few days ago I planted a few seeds. I was doing this mainly because I had some savory (I think I previously suggested it was sage) that I wanted to plant and it seemed as good a time as any to kill off the peas and start a few radishes. While the savory has started quite nicely, I have been quite impressed with the pea growth, which seems to be much faster than the first peas that I planted. As you can see, I have planted far too many seeds in most of these pots. One seems to have at least five pea plants. Another of the plants that is visible in this photo is the yellow bean plant that I planted in late May. This plant is showing my first bean flowers of the season. Assuming that these blooms all turn into beans I should have about ten beans in a few days.



As you might have guessed, these plants are giving me quite a bit of enjoyment. I guess not everyone is into them quite as much as I am. Anyway, I assume this deals the developments in the balcony garden in sufficient detail, probably more detail that most people actually need.

No comments: