Sunday, July 19, 2009

Balcony Update 7

Much to my surprise, today turned out to be a rather sunny and pleasant day. As I was inspecting my plants this afternoon I had the sense that just about everything everything was doing well and had made some progress in the past few days.



At least one of the thunbergia plants has really taken off. Over the course of just a few days it has turned into something vine-like and seems to be working its way around the cords supporting the pot. Eventually I am going to try to add some string to connect the two hooks on which the hanging pots are hanging. If all goes according to plan some of the scarlet runner beans will also come into the equation.



The scarlet runner beans working their way around the column are putting on vine length and blooms. I am hoping to see signs of beans within a few days. Assuming all of the potential blooms turn into beans we should have quite a runner bean harvest.



The banana has really taken off in the past few days. Aside from the two new shoots at the bottom of the plant, it seems that each new leaf is larger than the last. The only problem with all of this growth is that the plant may soon outgrow its current plant.



The tomatoes seem to have a few more buds that look as though the are about to bloom, to go along with the one flower that we have presently. While all of this bud activity is going on the plants are continuing to grow taller each day.



The watermelons seems to be a little larger than they were when I purchased them and transplanted them a few weeks ago, but not all that much larger. I am hoping that I get at least a vine or two before they succumb to frost in the fall.



While the pea plants continue to grow I see no signs of the plants developing elements that should eventually turn into peas. I am assuming that such developments should occur in the coming days as the plants are now about six weeks old.



Within the past few days the pepper plant has been showing signs that it is about to flower. I think that I can see at least three buds. Given the rate of development of these buds I assume that it will be at least a few more days before they open. I have no idea if the flowers will eventually turn into peppers, though I hope that they do.



The beans in the planter continue to do well. A number of the yellow beans are beginning to flower while the scarlet runner beans are racing up their strings.



Actually, just recently a second plant reached the top of the original string set-up and has started to make its way along the string just below the rafters.



The more recently planted peas, like the other peas, are continuing to grow without showing signs of productivity. Fortunately the yellow bean plant seems to have the early stages of a handful of beans. Another nice development in this area is that the recently planted sugar beet seeds seem to have started to sprout, and may be visible (in the reddish pot in the front). While I have too many seeds in this pot I am hoping that the plants may eventually produce some type of edible output.



In other news, the morning glory seeds that I planted a few days ago are also starting to sprout. Unfortunately the mint and cumin seeds aren't yet showing signs of life.

The best plant related news may actually be that the tobacco seeds, which are presently in my room, have started to sprout and have thus started their journey towards being the key components of some of Halifax's best home-rolled cigars.

No comments: