Saturday, July 11, 2009

Halifax Highland Games

A few days ago, though I don't remember how, I learned that the Halifax Highland Games and Scottish Festival would be taking place today on the Dartmouth Commons. Given my ancestry and upbringing I was quite interested in attending this event, even if it was to be in Dartmouth. Ancestry or not, who can really wants to miss an opportunity to see a good caber toss if they have the chance?

It seems that as Neil and Rebecca feel that they have filled their Scottish cultural quota, so they weren't interested in joining me this year. How the caber toss argument didn't win them over I will never know. Fortunately, I mentioned my interest in attending to a friend and she immediately agreed to go with me.

As much as both us are interested in piping and drumming, neither of us was interested in trying to make it for 9:00 AM, which is when the solo competitions started. Instead, we both thought that it might be a little better to try to go a little later so that we could catch the athletic and band type events (and also snag a little of the highland dancing).

If you check out the embedded video I think you will see that we were successful.



[Embedded video]

One of the more intriguing aspects of our visit to the event was the little kid who was particularly intrigued with the process of me putting on sunscreen. It was as though the kid, who seemed to be about four, had never seen such a thing and was both surprised and disgusted with the whole affair. Hopefully I didn't freak him out too much.

No comments: