Monday, July 13, 2009

New seeds

As regular readers will know, several days ago I ordered a few packages of seeds from Richter's in Ontario. After an excruciating wait of about 5 days, they finally arrived. As Kirsten arrived today and we were looking for something to do we decided to try planting a few of the seeds this evening.



Given that both of us were most interested in the tobacco seeds/plants, that is where we started.



I decided to try starting the seeds in small, homemade paper pots that I would then place inside jars (which I hope will act like greenhouses). After making the pots Kirsten and I filled them with soil and started the planting process. As you can see from the image above, the seeds are quite small, much smaller than I expected.



Not surprisingly, the whole process didn't really take all that long.



Any the planted seeds and whatnot have now been moved to the windowsill in my bedroom. I am hoping that a few of the seeds germinate and don't overheat in the homemade greenhouses.

Once the tobacco seed operation wrapped we moved on to the menthol mint and sugar beets. In both cases I am pretty sure that the pots I used are too small and that I put too many seeds in each pot. Anyway, that is what I have been doing all summer, I don't know why I would want to change now.

No comments: