Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 337

-Well we had some rain today, though as of yet we have not had the thundershowers that were also forecast. At the moment things seem to have calmed down, but as the skies haven't cleared I am not particularly convinced that we have seen all of today's inclement weather.

-A few days ago I finally got around to cleaning one of our living room shelving units. The reason for the cleaning was that it had been housing many of the spider mite infested plants, and presumably also housed a number of spider mite eggs. I am hoping that now that the that the entire thing has been cleaned the spider mite remnants have been removed and it will be safe for me to re-introduce plants to that part of the living room. That I dealt with this cleaning job is important as our summer growing season will soon be winding down and I will need to find space for a number of my balcony garden plants indoors. I also hope that this once and for all ends our spider mite saga.

-A few days ago my bike finally arrived from Newfoundland. Unfortunately the rear wheels or brake seem to have been thrown out of alignment sometime between me last seeing the bike and the time that I received it a few days ago. As of yet I haven't been able to diagnose the problem myself so I think that I will likely bring it to a bike shop in the very near future, maybe tomorrow. I am really looking forward to actually having a functional bike in the very near future.

-As of a few days ago I noticed that a blonde woman, presumably from the neighbouring apartment building, is using the green space across from my window as a toilet area for her puppy. While I am not really a fan such things under the best of circumstances, particularly as the area being used is quite visible from where I sit at my desk, it seems that the the woman has decided not to clean up after her dog, making the whole thing much worse.

Today, to make matters worse, I saw a man with the same dog exhibit the same behaviour pattern. This is all the more frustrating as I have not only seen children play in this area, but I have also seen others do renovation related work in the same area. Given the seeming universal human aversion to stepping in dog crap I am quite surprised that this continues to exist. If I was a little more of an outgoing person I might mention this to these people the next time I see it happen, but as that is not really who I am I will probably just continue to let it frustrate me and maybe occasionally blog about it.

-We are in the midst of a fruit fly population explosion. In the past few days things have really taken off. I think that yesterday there must have been hundreds of the things in the kitchen. It seems that, not surprisingly, the compost is an ideal breading ground for them. It would be nice if we could find a way to either control or eliminate them.

No comments: