Sunday, August 02, 2009

Balcony Garden Update 9

It has been a few days since my last post and it seems that in this time a number of key developments have taken place. Also, in most instances growth has been pretty regular and noticeable.



The thunbergia, at least those in one of the pots, are doing quite well. I guess I am a little surprised that so far I still haven't seen signs of flowers, but I guess given their slow start this shouldn't surprise me too much. I am particularly excited that one of the plants has started to make its way along the string set up.



The scarlet runner beans have really started kicking out all kinds of flowers. Unfortunately, so far none of these flowers have managed to convert make the all important transition to beans. I am still holding out a little hope that some of these flowers may result in something that I can eat.



The morning glory seem to be some of my fastest growing plants. It seems that almost every day new grow is visible. As of yet I am undecided about whether I should try to hand the container or just leave it on the brick wall.

Something that I have noticed about these plants, and which I think should be visible in this photo, is that the first two leaves of these plants are quite different from the subsequent leaves. The early leaves, when viewed together, appear to form an 'H' while subsequent leaves look like pretty standard flowering plant leaves.



One of the biggest developments to take place this week with my plants is that a few of the plants are now bearing fruit. Given that the tomatoes are in their early stages of development they aren't particularly visible in the photo of the set of plants.



But I think that in this close-up things should be a little more obvious. In terms of scale, this is just a few millimeters.



The peas, in the days after starting to flower, have begun to develop peas. At the moment there are almost a dozen pea pods in various stages of development and maybe about the same number of flowers. It is looking as though we might actually get some production from a few of these plants. My current plan is to try to harvest a few of these pea pods later this week for use in a stir-fry, or something along those lines.



This is one of the pea pods.



The largest and oldest of my pepper plants has had a number of buds for the past few days but only a full-fledged flower as of this morning. I guess I will soon learn whether this will turn into a fruit. I am hoping that some fruit will develop otherwise I will continue to be in the dark about which type of pepper plant this is, though I am pretty sure it is of the hot variety.




The scarlet runner beans in the planter are continuing to grow rapidly, though as of yet they have begun to show few signs of them developing blooms or flowers. I guess given their later planting date this shouldn't be much of a surprise.



Just recently the last two plants reached the top of the original string set up and are now working their way along the string just below the rafters. The most advanced of the plants has almost completed this journey and is inches away from meeting up with the other set of scarlett runner beans and starting their joint journey along the string at the front of the balcony. Assuming that growth continues at the same rate it has been going these past few days, this should happen within the next 24 hours or so.



The new pea plants are continuing to grow, though relatively slowly (I imagine this has something to do with the small pots). The oldest of my yellow bean plants has a few beans that seem to be almost ready to harvest. Unfortunately, these beans don't look particularly appetizing. I guess one option would be to leave them on the vine so that I could eventually harvest the seeds for future plantings.



Anyway, it has been a pretty good week for plant growth. I am starting to think that we may be able to salvage some from this largely overcast summer, though we will probably get a little less than I originally hoped for.

No comments: