Saturday, May 02, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 311

-Today has been another rather overcast day. Fortunately we haven't had as much rain as we had yesterday, and it seems to be a little warmer.

-The bread I baked yesterday seemed to turn out quite nicely. In yesterday's post I forgot to mention that I was using flour I purchased a few days ago that claims to be particularly good for bread. The one thing that I did notice is that the bread does appear to be softer and produce fewer crumbs when cut. I noticed something similar with the batch of French bread I baked using the same flour. While I like the impact the flour is having on the crumbs, I am not exactly sure how I feel about its impact on the texture. Anyway, what I think about the flour doesn't really matter because this stuff is several dollars more a bag, which is an additional expense that I am not ready to incur at the moment. As soon as I kill this bag off I will be back to the cheapest flour I can get.

-Shortly after the conference attendees (and Rebecca) returned from Saint John last night Neil and I went out to socialize with a few of the math people. While I had a good time, I did end up staying up a little later than I originally expected (and we all know how careful I am when it comes to my sleep schedule).

-For some reason I have decided to make all kinds of food for dinner tonight (I sure hope Neil will be home for dinner). My original plan was to go with some kind of chickpea and pork dish, though at some point this plan was side-tracked and the chickpeas were reassigned to a chickpea dish. The pork was cut from the menu, and chicken was added. Some of the chicken (on sale thighs and drumsticks) are being prepared as my relatively weak attempt at tandoori chicken, while the rest is plain. I also decided to include roasted potatoes on the menu, though I don't really know why know that I think about it, there are other starchy things that might have been a better choice. Then to top it all off I am going to prepare some vegetables, one of which will be the cauliflower I purchased a few days ago.

I really hope it turns out well because there is a fair bit of food.

-While on my way to the grocery store earlier this afternoon I passed Olympic Confectionary, a local diner/lunch bar. As I passed I noticed that it appeared to have been emptied out, only the items that were attached to the building seem to remain. Presumably this suggests that the business has closed, which I find rather funny as the busiest I have seen it was just a few days ago (though this could be a matter of too little too late). I curious about what is going on.

-Montifax's traffic has really spiked in the past few days, seemingly almost exclusively because of our Spryfield/Purcell's Cove/Herring Cove fire content. As far as I know, the past two days have been our busiest two days ever (and by most standards they still wouldn't count as particularly busy days). My YouTube video of the fire has been similarly popular, though it really doesn't show much of any thing and the quality of the images is particularly poor. The last time I checked the video was the 19th most viewed News and Politics video in Canada today (how exciting).

No comments: