Sunday, May 17, 2009

Home alone on a Sunday night

Shortly after dinner Neil and Rebecca made their way over the apartment of some friends of their to wile the evening away with some fancy computer game related activities. The consequence of them splitting was that I had the apartment to myself for the evening.

My original plan was to try and read a few of G.K. Chesterton's Father Brown stories. For some reason the reading hasn't quite materialized yet, maybe I will see if I can get working on that in the near future.

Though I haven't yet been able to bring myself around the reading or any school related work, I have been able to take care of a few other tasks.

While I still had a little natural day light I look care of planting a few seeds. Originally I had been planning on finishing the planting and then leaving most of the pots and seeds outside to germinate. As I was wrapping up the planting operation I started to think that it might be a little too cold to leave them outside, whether this is the case or not I don't really know. What I do know is if the weather happens as is forecast, I should be able to safely move things outside by Wednesday.

Anyway, I ended up moving to various locations inside (and plan to return them to the balcony in a few days).

The pots on top of the stand in the living room are primarily beans of various sorts. The three uniform pots have scarlet runner beans while the ice cream container has yellow beans. I believe that the green container has some kind of leaf lettuce, but I guess I will find out if my memory is correct in a few days.



The pots on top of my filing cabinet are a bit more of a mixed bag both in terms of what I just planted, but also in terms of what I plan on doing with them. Not surprisingly, I plan to leave the more established plants where they are and only move the recently planted plants outside. In the larger terra cotta pot I planted more lettuce while in the smaller plastic container I planted a few watermelon seeds (my third attempt at watermelon this season).



The remaining six pots are pots I don't really plan on moving outdoors once things get a little warmer, also some of these were planted a few days ago. Four of these plants have some hot pepper seeds while one has thyme (which was planted a few days ago) and the other chives.



After I finished with the planting and pot arranging I moved on to baking. While I had originally been thinking about baking bread today I realized that we didn't really need any once Neil and Rebecca managed to snag a dozen free bagels at the marathon, nor do we have enough freezer space to store the extra loaves. Eventually I remembered that I had been interested in baking gingerbread again, largely because my last batch didn't meet my very exacting standards. I am hoping that this will be out of the oven in a few minutes.



Once the gingerbread was in the oven and the dishes taken care of I was able to move onto a project that I have been thinking about for months, the resurrection of the free book box that I had with Nithum in Montreal. As you can see, I have seeded the box with three books already, hopefully I will be able to add a few more in the coming days. Now we just have to have some people over to take advantage of the free book box.



As the night is still young I should see if I can manage to take care of a few more tasks while I am still in a somewhat productive mood.

2 comments:

Donald McKay said...

Do you have 'Born on a Blue Day'?

Cameron said...

No, I don't.

Didn't you leave it in Montreal?