Monday, May 11, 2009

Well that takes care of a question I have had since 1994

Since about 1994 I have, intermittently, been wondering exactly what Zima was and what it tasted like. The closest I ever came to the answer was when my father said "Zima: tastes like zits." So while I had the idea that it wasn't particularly pleasant, I still had no idea what it was.

Fortunately, tonight, while doing some reading on Boone's Farm products, I came across a great Slate article about about Zima. Not only did the article explain the product's origins, an attempt to create a cheap beer based product for dudes who didn't like beer, but also its later incarnations as a female targeted alcopop wannabe. It was as an alcopop that Zima seems to have died a rather quiet death in October 2008.

Anyway, I feel as though a chapter of my childhood (the "wonder about Zima" chapter) has finally been closed. If only I could only get my hands on a bottle of Crystal Pepsi everything would be just about perfect.

2 comments:

Greg said...

Remember Orbitz (the drink?)

http://www.bevnet.com/reviews/orbitz/

Cameron said...

I do, though I don't know if I ever had any. One of those things that is gone before you even really get a chance to get used to the product.