Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 315

-As might be ascertained from the photos in the last post, we are in the midst of a rather foggy day in Halifax. Aside from the fact that it is a little damp because of the fog, it really isn't that bad, there isn't too much wind and temperature is just fine.

-When I went out for a walk this morning I made the unfortunate decision to wear my rain coat. It seems that the rain coat that I purchased a few months ago doesn't really breath. I am convinced that I came back wetter because of the coat than I would have been had I warn a coat that has no ability to repel water. I find this particularly frustrating as the last rain jacket I had didn't have this problem, it was so comfortable that I was even inclined occasionally wear it on days when it wasn't even raining.

-I just heard about this story, which just seems to be the most recent in a series of violent crime stories that have taken place in Halifax in past few days. It seems that basically every morning there has been a story about a shooting or a stabbing in the area. As far as I know they are unrelated, which makes the trend seem even a little stranger. Hopefully this dies down in the very near future.

-All three of went to a friend's house for dinner last night. I know I had a good time, and I presume that Neil and Rebecca did as well (though I haven't yet spoken to them about it so I shouldn't be so bold as to put words in their mouths).

-A few days ago when my uncle was in town we saw a thing in the harbour. As the sun was setting at the time we didn't really get a good look at it. When we went back later we had a much better view and were able to see that it was some kind of boat/rig thing that was suspended on stilt like appendages. When I took a walk along the waterfront yesterday I got an even better view, but I still have no idea what this really is (though I imagine it has something to do with the offshore oil industry). If you know, let me know, I am curious.



Edit: It turns out it was pretty easy to find some information on this thing, if want to learn more go here.

-I was able to crank out three loads of laundry yesterday. I delayed a little by some of our neighbours who decided to leave their clothes in the washer long after the cycle had ended. Eventually I moved their clothes out of the washer so that I could get on with things. While I don't really like taking this approach, I also don't like having to wait hours for a washer that isn't even in use. I really don't understand how people leave their things unattended four hours on end on a regular basis and seemingly have no concern for their neighbour's access to the (limited) laundry facilities. I know that I don't like having my laundry handled by others, and I guess I would have imagined that it was a relatively common aversion. I guess present practice seems to suggest otherwise as this is a pretty common occurrence here.

No comments: