Saturday, June 27, 2009

Balcony Garden Update 3

It has been a few days, so I thought I would throw up a few more photos of our balcony garden. In the interim, I planted a few more seeds. I planted a few more pots worth of peas, one pot with radishes, and a few pots with sage. It is still too early for any signs of growth to be visible, though I expect the radishes to be making themselves known in the very near future.



For a fast growing vine, the thunbergia seems to be rather slow growing, or maybe I have unreasonable expectations. I guess the good news is that these plants are actually making progress after a very slow start.



The scarlet runner beans next to the column are definitely starting to take off. In the past few days a few of the runners have become tall enough to start making their way around the column. Actually, aside from only a few of the plants, most of the plants seem to be working their way along one of the two strings I have wrapped around the column for them to grow along. I guess give the slow start it shouldn't be too surprising that none of them are showing signs of blooms or beans.



The tomatoes are continuing to grow taller with every day. Also, more of them are showing things that I assume will eventually turn into blooms, though no blooms are presently visible. A few days ago a friend reminded me that there is some kind of pruning recommendation when it comes to tomatoes, so that energy is directed towards fruit production rather than stalk production. Unfortunately, I don't exactly know what I am supposed to prune. I guess I will have to head back to one of the books I have from the library about growing vegetable indoors.



The peas are growing slowly, but still growing. I think that at least part of the problem is that the soil in which most of peas are planted is less than ideal. None of the plants in this soil seem to be thriving. I wonder how much larger the pea plants will need to be before they start producing peas.



The beans in the planter seem to be growing more quickly than any of the other plants. One or two of the plants seem to be able to produce 2-3 inches of new growth on a good day. The yellow beans, though not as tall as the scarlet runner beans, are also growing quite nicely. The tall, thin pot to the left of the planter has the recently planted radish seeds. The pots to the right of the planter have the recently planted peas.



The pepper plant seems to be fine. I have seen no evidence of spider mites since I moved it outdoors and gave it a few doses of anti-spider mite treatment.



As a point of information, these photos were taken yesterday. I wasn't able to post them in the hours after they were taken, as I typically would, because we lost phone and internet service for a few hours yesterday. Fortunately, by about 1:00 AM this morning everything was back to normal and we were able to resume our web 2.0 lives.

No comments: