Thursday, June 04, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 321

-Today has been pretty nice so far, but it seems that in the last few minutes things have started to cloud over a little. Hopefully this doesn't mean impending rain.

-Yesterday Neil and I attended our first Ultimate practice of the season (we missed one a few days ago due to a prior commitment). Generally thing seemed to go well, and it was definitely nice to meet some of the members of the team that we hadn't met before.

Our first game is on Sunday evening. As I haven't played in a few weeks I imagine that this will really tire me out, as first games tend to.

-Neil and Rebecca are back in Newfoundland for a few days leaving Ed and I to our own devices here in the apartment. While I can't speak for Ed, I imagine that most controversial things I may do will likely relate to seed planting and our apartment's plants.

-On the subject of plants, one of the corn plants in my bedroom has really been growing quite rapidly these past few days. I am hoping that the sudden growth spurt is an indication that there will soon ears of corn will start to develop. Even though this plant is much taller than the last corn plant, I don't expect any ears that do grow to even approach full size.



The pepper plant, which is to the left of the corn, seems to be doing nicely. Unfortunately, only one of the seeds that I planted seems to have properly germinated. Two of the other seeds germinated but then became stunted as the seeds' shells got stuck on the top of the shoots and seem to have basically prevented further development. Amazingly, both of these short stalks do seem to still be alive, so maybe there is still some hope for their future survival.

The recently planted corn and pepper seeds are still showing no signs of growth. This is not particularly surprising as far as the peppers are concerned, but a little behind schedule for the corn. I am starting to think that the age of the corn seeds might be part of the problem.

-The balcony garden seems to be growing very slowly. In the past few days a few of the peas have shown signs of growth, but the number of stalks doesn't even come close to the number of seeds that were planted.

The plants that seem to be doing shockingly well, but will surely slow down in the very near future, are the broccoli and cauliflower seeds that I planted a few days ago. In many ways I am just please that they have shown any signs of growth as I really expected them to be a complete shot in the dark. On the other hand, I imagine that growing them in yogurt containers isn't really the way to ensure that they react full size.

-The hole that was cut in our wall a few days ago has received its first coat of plaster. The guy was supposed to come back last night and finish up, but it seems that no one heard him when he knocked on the door to be let in to do the work. The consequence is that I am now killing time (though I do have productive things that I could be doing) while waiting for him to return and complete the job. The real problem is that I fear I may miss the knock and have blown a good portion of my evening.

-Last night, after practice, I made my way to the grocery store before returning home. As I was picking up my purchases after checking out I overheard a woman at a neighbouring aisle, who had also just checked out, ask the cashier whether the olive oil she was holding was in a glass bottle. The incident reminded me of a neighbour kid who used to frequently ask my father what he was doing while he was in the midst of completing rather obvious chores, such as mowing the lawn or shoveling the driveway.

No comments: