Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 330

-Well, today was another rather unpleasant, overcast day. Though we didn't have too much rain during the daylight hours, we were hit rather hard last night. I imagine that all of the rain we have received in the past few days means that the local playing fields are drenched, which isn't good for our Ultimate game on Sunday, particularly as we are likely to have more rain between now and then.

-On top of all of the rain we have been getting it has also been quite humid. This humidity is making things quite unpleasant. It seems that I feel sticky and unpleasant even though it is only in the high teens.

-Amazingly, the plants seem to be continuing to grow even though they haven't received much direct sun in the past few days. It seems that the beans, those in the planter and those next to the column, are growing more quickly that they have grown so far. With regards to the beans near the column, I am hoping that I some of them will complete their first loop in just a few days.

-Neil surprised me with a purchase he made this afternoon. It seems that while he was shopping he encountered a set of port sippers at a local store. These items are designed to allow one to drink from the bottom of your glass of port to reduce oxidization, and thus have a better port drinking experience. Obviously a well stocked apartment shouldn't be without a set of these.

We decided to test them out with some Newman's Port this evening.



-A few days ago Neil surprised me with another purchase, an apron. I was quite pleased to get this apron as it should allow me to keep some of my clothes a little cleaner while cooking.



-While I was making my way through the grocery store this afternoon I decided to pick up a pound of butter. While I was checking out prices I discovered that one of the brands was on sale for $2.50, a price which is about $2.29 less than normal. I scooped us six pounds, four of which I have stashed in our freezer. I may have to head back before Friday to pick up a few more, opportunities like this don't come along every day.

-A few days ago I received a candy thermometer from my sister. Today I decided to flip through the Joy of Cooking and find a recipe to make. Eventually I settled on Turtles, which are basically pecans, caramel, and chocolate. While they don't look like much, they are quite edible. I am generally pleased with the results given that it was my first attempt at candy making in a number of years.



-I am incredibly tired. I didn't get to sleep until the sun was rising this morning and then didn't get a chance to take a nap today, and it is now past midnight. Unfortunately this means that I wasn't able to use my sleep shortage to get myself to go to bed early.

No comments: