Saturday, June 13, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 324

-Though today started off looking rather overcast, by mid-afternoon things had turned around quite nicely. By late in the afternoon one could have safely gone so far as to say that it was a nice day.

-In the last post a I documented the developments of some of the plants on our balcony. It seems that I should probably do the same for the plants in my bedroom.



I guess I might start on the left, with one of the pots that looks as though it isn't doing much. I guess this pot looks as though it isn't doing much because it doesn't seem to be doing much. I planted some corn seeds a while ago but they seem to have done nothing. I will give this a few more days and if there is no growth I will either try planting a little more corn or maybe something different.

The aloe droplets continue to grow more quickly than I would expect a succulent to grow. I think that in the not too distant future I should consider re-potting them, but I guess this will likely have to wait until I have something to put them in that is a little nicer than a margarine container.

The pepper plant's continued growth pleases me a great deal. I am looking forward to the first flowers and peppers so that I may be reminded which type of pepper plant this is (we have a few type so pepper seeds and I can't remember which I planted in this pot).

The corn seems to be doing quite well for the size of the pot in which it is growing. The plant on the left seems to have stopped making upwards progress and now stands at about 41 inches. The plant on the right, whose development has somehow been delayed, continues to grow quite rapidly. Unfortunately, neither of the plants are yet showing signs of the development of ears of corn. I am hoping that such growth will be come visible on the larger plant in the very near future.

The thyme, which, as usual, is difficult to see, continues to grow rapidly. I think that in about a week or so I might be able to harvest a little more, or I might just wait and let the plant grow until I know what I want to do with all of my dried thyme.

The pot furthest to the right has some pepper seeds, one of which sprouted. In this case I am confident that the peppers I planted are a type of pepper that are supposed to produce rather nice looking purple (which turn to red) hot peppers. Hopefully a few more of the seeds will sprout in the coming days.

-The pots in the next window over also seem to be showing signs of growth, but not quite as much as the plants I have already described.

In this row of pots the two at the far end have chives (which are just starting to show signs of growth), the third, fifth, sixth, and seventh have purple hot peppers, while the fourth pot has thyme. Hopefully these plants are at least somewhat visible in this photo.




-We have another ultimate game tomorrow. Unfortunately we didn't get a chance to practice this week because of the rain. I think a practice would have been good as a few of our players are pretty inexperienced and are still unfamiliar with all of the rules. Anyway, I am looking forward to the game (and hope that attempts to arrange will be successful).

-Some time past midnight on Thursday night I had the good fortune to pass a kidney stone. Amazingly, I didn't clue in to what was happening until it had already happened.

I can't tell you want a relief this stone was. Not only did I feel an immediate reduction in general pain and discomfort, knowing that the stone has passed has been incredibly relaxing. After a few months of somewhat regular pain and discomfort you almost forget what it feels like not to have a stone working its way through your system.

-As most of you likely know by now, the NDP won a decisive victory in Tuesday's election. Contrary to the many predictions of doom and despair, the sky has not yet fallen and, as far as I can tell, things seem to be carrying on as were in the past. I will be sure to let you know if things suddenly come to a grinding halt and the world ends.

No comments: