Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 327

-We had another beautiful day in Halifax. The sun was out, the temperature was pleasant, and it wasn't particularly windy.

-I made another batch of bread this morning. Strangely, I seem to be more productive on days when I make bread. I think it has something to do with me needing to stay awake until the bread is out of the oven. If I can refrain from taking a nap this long I am likely to be able to get some work in before catching a few more minutes of sleep.

-For dinner tonight we had black beans that I prepared in the pressure cooker. I am really starting to like these pressure cooker prepared black beans. Not only are they relatively easy, they are tasty and low-cost.

-After dinner we made our way to the Halifax Shopping Centre (the mall) to run a few errands. Unfortunately, one of the items I was hoping to buy, garden mesh, didn't seem to be stocked in any of the stores we visited. Otherwise I think I would go so far as to call the trip a success.

One of the products I am particularly pleased to have purchased is a miticide, which I hope will help me on my seemingly unending battle against the omnipresent spider mites. This product should be a little more potent than the somewhat ineffectual insecticidal soap. The downside is that apparently one doesn't want to eat any food that has been sprayed with such products.

-On the subject of spider mites, just tonight I observed that my two corn plants were infested. This meant that the plants had to be destroyed, which is rather unfortunate as one of them was just showing the early signs of the development of an ear of corn. The only good news is that this will allow me to move all of my plants out of my bedroom window and disinfect the area. Hopefully when plants are returned to the windowsill in a few weeks the area will be spider mite free.

-To briefly return to our experience in the mall, at one point we were in the paper towel/tissue/toilet paper aisle of a store. As the three of us were making our way down the aisle we passed a middle-aged woman and an employee, who happened to be stocking the shelves. Just as we were passing these two individuals I heard the woman comment that the toilet paper claimed to be made from recycled paper and then, thinking that she really found a flaw in the system, asked the employee "How do they recycle toilet paper?" Amazingly, the employee kept his composure and simply replied that the recycle material that they use comes from other types of paper, not necessarily from toilet paper.

-Watson just made the money in a Pot-Limit Omaha tournament at the World Series of Poker. The WSOP people are providing pretty regular updates and somewhat regular chip counts. Watson is also providing Twitter updates during the breaks, if you are interested.

No comments: