Tuesday, June 09, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 323

-We had another beautiful day today. For much of the late morning and early afternoon the sun was out in full force. By early evening it was a little more overcast, but this wasn't much of a problem.

-A few days ago when reading about tomatoes and some of the other plants I have been trying to grow I also managed to read that coffee is, apparently, an easy house plant to grow. For the past few minutes I have been trying to find a way to get seeds in Canada. So far my search, though incredibly limited has been rather fruitless.

I do think that it it would be rather cool to have a coffee tree, even if it is only likely to produce a pound a year of coffee.

-One consequence of my search for coffee seeds is that I have now signed up to receive several seed catalogues (though none of these suppliers sell coffee). I am really looking forward to browsing these catalogues once they arrive.

-A few more of my pepper seeds seem to have sprouted. Unlike some of the other peppers I have planted, these are starting out as purple plants (the stem and the leaves). I am curious if this colouration will last, or if they will turn green in the near future.

Strangely, the chives I planted at the same time seem not to have sprouted at all. I find this odd as in the past I have had absolutely no problem getting chives to grow. I am starting to think that be the age of the seeds. If I don't see any action in a few days I may have to consider re-planting or planting something new.

-Today I read a story in the Globe and Mail about blogs and blogging. In the story it was reported that 95% of blogs have not been updated in the past 120 days. This story largely confirms something that I was thinking about a while ago, which is that as far as blogs go, Montifax has had a pretty stellar track record given that we now have more than two full years of regular updates under our belt. Of course, this doesn't really mean anything, particularly when most of our posts are about domestic goings on and whatnot.

-For the first time in a few weeks I went in to the library to work in my library carrel. Of course, when I arrived at the carrel I found that the light had burned out. While I have mentioned it to the proper authorities I have no idea how long it will take to be fixed.

-As we have now passed midnight we are in election day in Nova Scotia. Though some of the more recent polls have suggested that the NDP have a large lead, I am still not exactly sure how things will turn out. For some reason I suspect that Liberal/PC strategic voting may come into play and be a deciding factor in a number of seats. I guess we will find out tomorrow one way or another.

2 comments:

Donald McKay said...

As a political scientist, what is your view? Can't you get off the fence and make a call? My prediction is that at the last minute some will be skittish of an NDP government.

Cameron said...

My general position is that as I don't know that much about Nova Scotia politics it would be somewhat rash and ill-advised for me to try make a prediction, and certainly a prediction that gives the pretense of being precise.

That being said, based on the limited information I have seen, I think that even if many of the NDP voters jump ship they will still receive the largest share of the votes, and possibly the largest share of seats (though this could be a problem for them, as it has been in the past). I guess I feel that an NDP government of some sort is pretty likely. Of course it is likely that my perspective is biased as I haven't been in the rest of the province during the campaign, and Halifax is a know NDP hotspot, so to get the sense that they are doing well here isn't really saying much about their province-wide appeal.

I should also make it clear that my prediction of an NDP government should not be taken as a sign of support for or against such a government, just a a prediction of the election outcome.