Friday, January 06, 2012

100% cotton?

For maybe the past four months or so I have been thinking about the composition of the material used in the construction of my clothing.  For the most part, though I don't have any particularly good reason for this decision, I have generally been trying to veer away from synthetics.  The result is that sometimes in the morning when I am selecting my clothing I happen to either examine a label or run through my mental list of natural fibre shirts.

Today was one of those mornings when I thought about such issues.  After some vacillation I ended going with a cotton/synthetic blend shirt, mainly because I hadn't worn the shirt since I started thinking about synthetic fibres and that seemed a little unfair to a shirt that I had purchased before I started caring about such things.  What had this shirt ever done to cause me to question my trust in it?  Had it not always met my expectations in terms of shirtiness?

So all day I quite self-conscious about the fact that I wasn't wearing a 100% cotton shirt.  It was weighing on my mind more than it should have been.

Late this afternoon, just as I was becoming comfortable with this morning's clothing choice I saw someone looking at my shirt.  He then asked "Is that 100% cotton?"

Really?

Who asks that question of anyone, let alone someone to whom they are not particularly close?  And why?  Does anyone really need to know that they are perfect at detecting 100% cotton shirts?

Anyway, now that I know people are thinking about the composition of my shirts I am sure that I will be a little more self-conscious about it (whether I should be or not).  Do I really want to be exposed more than once as someone who doesn't wear 100% cotton shirts?  What kind of animal would they think I am?

1 comment:

Greg said...

Sounds like a pickup line...