Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Vegans are my favourite vegetarians


I’m not always so hot on vegetarianism generally (especially those ‘vegetarian’ diets that consider fish to be an acceptable food for a vegetarian), but I tend to think that veganism is pretty great.  Not only have they fully committed to the ‘no animal products’ position, but so many of the foods I do my best to avoid are also avoided by vegans.  Because of these dietary similarities I always feel that I have a special bond with vegans and, thus, I do my best to accommodate their needs whenever I preparing foods for vegans.  Even if there are no vegans present, if I have prepared a vegan meal I will often make a point of announcing it to those present (and I will then try to remember the recipe in case I need to prepare food for a vegan in the future).

Given my feelings towards vegans I thought I should come up with a (hopefully only) mildly insulting and very personal list of the six best things about vegans/veganism.

6) Vegans tend to read labels and know what they are eating.  Though I don’t always do this myself, I am in favour of people being informed eaters.

5) Vegans take the heat for picky eaters.  If there is a vegan around I know they will make me look good because I won’t be the pickiest eater present.

4) Vegans never add unnecessary cheese or dairy products to recipes. 

3) Vegans never slip shrimp or the other invertebrate seafood into dishes. 

2) If there’s white stuff in a vegan dish I now that it isn’t mayonnaise, and this is good because mayonnaise is the grossest.

1) The best thing about vegans is that they never add honey to recipes as a sugar replacement.  Knowing that I never have to worry about this makes eating vegan deserts a real treat.

3 comments:

jlye said...

True to your promise, I was only mildly insulted.

Greg said...

I've been vegetarian since Feb last year.

I was very insulted.

Cameron said...

It didn't take you very long to figure out what this was about then did it.