Thursday, January 19, 2012

Baking update

When I posted yesterday about the weird chickpea based cake that I made last night I probably came to a few hasty conclusions based on incomplete knowledge.  Now that the cake is a few hours older I think I am in a better position to judge the recipe.

First of all, the cake definitely needs time to set.  I would guess that the 40 minutes suggested for baking is really fine.  Any gooeyness that I experienced last night was likely just because I didn't give the cake time to cool and set.  When I came back to it today the centre was not the least bit gooey.

Secondly, as the cake seems designed to be accessible for those with restricted diets the recipe is on the sparse side ingredientwise.  I think an easy way to really improve the cake would be to add a few walnut or pecan pieces, though this wouldn't work if you were preparing it for someone with a nut allergy.

This is definitely a recipe I will make again, if mainly for the novelty factor and to test my hunch about the  addition of nuts.

No comments: