Thursday, September 10, 2009

Balcony Garden Update 11

Moments ago I noticed that Environment Canada has issued a frost warning for Halifax this evening, so it now seems rather fortuitous that I took the time to take a few photos of some of the plants that still remain in my balcony garden. Of course, I hope that the frost doesn't hit tonight and that I am able to stretch things out a little longer, but I am obviously quite aware that any day now frost will be a reality that I will need to deal with.



The thunbergia have really been doing quite well recently. Earlier today I noticed that there are presently three flowers on the vines, and that there a number of additional buds. It is rather unfortunate that it took these plants about four months to really come into their own as it turns out that they are pretty nice looking, but that we won't really see much of them before the impending frost.



I quite like the flowers on this plant, though they don't seem to last for a particularly long time.



The morning glory plants have been growing at an incredible rate since they were first planted in July. When I was inspecting the plants today I spotted a few buds, though I don't know what will happen on this front as I don't know if I will have room to store this plant indoors all winter. Though it may be a little late to replicate this tremendous growth pattern, I am thinking that I may try to plant a few of these in my bedroom and have them grow up my new hanging plant shelving unit.



The banana plant has done quite well this summer. As you might be able to see, the pups and the main plant have put on some height and girth in the past few weeks. Moments after this photo was taken I removed the pups from the mother and re-potted them. As I was in the midst of the process I think that I may have discovered that they weren't quite big enough for the re-potting process, but I guess I will just have to wait and see. Presumably within a few days I will have a better sense of whether or not they have taken to their new environments, or whether I have killed them.



The peas have really taken a turn for the worse within the past few weeks. Not only have most of the plants started to look a little sickly, a good number of them have actually died, and pea production has dropped off to almost nothing. I am not even sure if I will go to the effort of trying to protect these from the threat of frost, they likely don't have much life left what ever I do.



The watermelon plants have been doing quite well these past few weeks, though seemed to have either picked something up are not taking well to the more limited sunlight that they are getting these days. I am really not sure that they are worth bringing in for the winter, but I do quite like the idea of having watermelon plants so they are likely to get special attention.



The tomato plants have finally stopped putting on so much new height and seem to be dedicating at least a slightly greater portion of their efforts to fruit development. Of course, it seems that these efforts are for nought as there is no way the fruit will be ready in the near future and it seems unlikely that I will be able to store these rather large and unwieldy plants inside for any length of time. As far as these plants are concerned, I think that I will just have to play things by ear.



For those of you who are interested, and if you have read this far I presume that you are, there are a few of the tomatoes that are a little larger, but most are these sizes or smaller. None of them are showing any signs of turning read.

On a more positive note, the tobacco plants, particularly those in my room, seem to be doing quite well. Actually, I am continually amazed at how large and quickly the plants are growing given the late start and small containers in which most of them have been planted.

No comments: