Saturday, September 19, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 357

-We had another nice day in Halifax today, though at times it was a little on the cool side. Fortunately, it wasn't cold enough that a brisk walk wasn't enough to provide the needed heat to be comfortable.

-It seems that I have been away for a few days, which can largely be explained by the fact that I have had a number of engagements/commitments that have drawn me away from my computer or kept me relatively busy.

On Monday I started my regularly scheduled courses (though I had had a session on the previous Wednesday). The real time sink was the paper that was due on Tuesday afternoon, which I was able to submit with a about two hours to spare (actually, I think that the professor was a little surprised that I actually handed it in on time). On Wednesday I had the pleasure of having two several hour seminars, the first of which started at 8:30 AM. The second seminar, the one for which the paper was due, ended at 5:30 PM, a solid nine hours after the first one started. A little later in the evening Neil and I had our first Ultimate game of our Fall season (we tied). Then on Thursday I helped a friend with some things before heading into school for a SSHRC doctoral fellowship information session. Immediately after the SSHRC event I made my way across campus to meet with a professor (the one for whom I had to write the paper) and ended up talking with her for almost 2 hours. After dinner (tacos) all three of us went back to campus to attend the weekly trivia night at the student bar. After trivia we made our way to Bubble's Mansion, hoping that this would be the location of the new Trailer Park Boys movie's premier after party. As it turned out that Bubble's Mansion wasn't as active and happening decided not to stay. In the end, for a variety of somewhat complex reasons, we ended up heading to another establishment. Unfortunately, the beer we ordered wasn't so great so it took us quite a while to drink it. In the end the only thing that really got us moving was that they turned on the lights and were clearly sending us the message that they wanted us to go. Anyway, these events meant that Thursday night was much less productive than I hoped it would be. Then today, I had to head into school to check on a few things before heading out to the Kempt Road area with Peter to buy some bulk dried goods (mainly beans) at good prices. Then tonight, because of our earlier shopping adventure, Peter came over for a dinner that was at least in part based on this afternoon's purchases. Anyway, all of this is just to give some insight into my noticeable absence from the blog. I really wish that a number more of these reasons related to academic eagerness, but unfortunately such reason were only part of the reason for my absence.

-Earlier tonight I noticed that the watermelon plants seem to be infested with something (hopefully not spider mites). Soon after this discovery I destroyed the infested plants plants and sprayed the others than had stored in the vicinity with pesticide. Hopefully this somewhat prompt action had curtailed the spread of whatever it was on the plants, though I fear that I may have been too late, which would really frustrate me quite a bit. Anyway, I guess I may try to do a bit of cleaning tomorrow and then have to wait and see whether anything comes back.

-I feel that there were quite a number of other things that I wanted to comment upon but that I can't seem to remember at the moment. Maybe when I have a little more time tomorrow I will try to work on a slightly more complete re-cap of the past few days.

No comments: