Wednesday, September 02, 2009

How easy is it to light hand-sanitizer?

Shortly after making a comment in my last post about a CBC story about a school in Nova Scotia that banned hand-sanitizer because it was flammable I became curious about how flammable it actually is.

I decided to give it a try and see if I could light the stuff. As you will see, it goes up pretty quickly, but doesn't cause a particularly big flame (and it was easy to extinguish, if controlled).



[Embedded video]

The key, though, is that you still need a fire of some sort to start it, it doesn't seem to be too susceptible to self-combustion (or maybe I have just had good luck on this front). And, I would say that it isn't all that much easier to start than paper, which has been known to catch on occasion.

1 comment:

Jess said...

I see that someone has been spending their post-thesis submission time wisely.