Sunday, September 20, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 359

-Today (Sunday) was a pretty bland day as far as I can recall, though at moments the sun did shine rather intensely. Fortunately, unlike last night, we are not presently in the midst of a frost warning.

-Tonight for dinner we had black beans, couscous, and vegetables. I tapped into my new 5 kg bags of beans and couscous during the preparation process. Much to my surprise, the whole wheat couscous were pretty good, and didn't taste as 'healthy' as I imagined they might, which is good as we have almost 5 kg of them.

-I went for a very pleasant walk this evening. Instead of my normal distance, I went a few blocks further along Spring Garden, almost to Coburg. It was quite nice to get out of the apartment for a while and soak up some of crisp fall air.

-Last night while I was moving my plants in to protect them from the possibility of frost I managed to knock the ripest of the tomatoes off. Though it is not quite as ripe as I would have liked, I think that it is close enough to ripe that I might be able to convince Neil to give it a shot.



The other good tomato related news is that a few of the other tomatoes seem to be turning reddish, though I fear that they still won't be ripe before the real frost threat hits. Though at this point I guess there isn't much that I can do aside from wait and move the plants in at night.



-The peppers are also continuing to develop nicely. Though I don't have an exact count, I wouldn't be surprised if we had about a dozen at various stages by the end of the week.



-The Thermos I mentioned buying a few days ago has seen pretty steady use since its purchase. Actually, today I used it for both coffee and tea, though the latter beverage was a bit of a mistake as it ended up being very strongly influenced by the earlier beverage.

-My sense of things is that for the past few days I have been forgetting to eat lunch. I don't seem to notice that this has happened until I sit down for dinner, when it is a little to late to do anything about rectifying the problem.

-For some reason that I don't quite understand I decided to make myself a more elaborate breakfast than usual this morning. Along with my usual toast I also prepared some scrambled eggs and a half a pound of bacon. I think that my elaborate breakfast then inspired Neil and Rebecca to also do something a little fancier than normal, though aside from having a sense that they prepared a few sausages I don't know what else they had.

-While at the grocery store this afternoon I decided to swing by the seafood section to see if there were any deals I might be interested in taking advantage of. As it turns out, there was one such deal. I managed to pick up a marlin steak, or something approximating such a cut of meat, for about $2.25. Hopefully it is a good as the discount shark I purchased a few weeks ago.

2 comments:

Neil said...

The tomato was successfully eaten on Sunday the 27th and was delicious.

Cameron said...

Good to know because there are a few more that might be ripe in the next few days/weeks.

If you were interested, this event could have merited its own full-fledged post, maybe even with a video component.