Wednesday, September 09, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 354

-Today, like the past few days, seems to be turning out quite nicely. Though it has cooled off a bit this evening, I would still go so far as to say it is pretty nice, though it definitely feels as though we are approaching, if not in the midst of, fall.

-Today I had to head to school to attend an orientation session for the new students in the Political Science Department. Though many of the new students were likely attending to learn about the department and what would be required of them in the coming year, I was primarily attending to meet the new students and get a sense of who I might be attending class alongside in the coming weeks. I didn't end up sticking around much past the introductions as I really didn't need to hear about what is involved in preparing an MA thesis, which was much of what was to be discussed during the rest of the session.

Later in the afternoon I made my way across campus for my first class of the semester, which technically occurred the day before the semester was officially to begin. The most notable outcome of the class was that I have assigned a paper/commentary for next week. Fortunately, I have been able to collect all of the readings, and have already, though only just, tried to start read them.

-A few weeks or days ago Neil and I were talking about the SMS text service provided by Google Voice and the strangeness of the fact that it was not possible to forward text messages to one's email account. It seems that other thought that this was a strange omission as well, as earlier today I noticed that the Google Voice Blog announced that they have now introduced a few new features relating to text messages, one of which is the ability to have them forwarded to email addresses.

-I wish all first year students were like this.

No comments: