Tuesday, September 01, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 353

-Today was a pretty nice day, as far as I recall. It seems that it was sunny and clear, and not too hot.

-As we enter September one of my academic programs is winding down and the other gearing up. In anticipation of the switch I have been asked to give up my library carrel as I will soon have access to an office (or access to an office). Hopefully I will get the keys and information about this office sometime tomorrow.

The other thing I was working on today was course selection for the fall semester. Unfortunately, it is turning out to be not quite as straight forward as I might have hoped. At the moment I think I have things pretty figured out, though there could be a few last minute changes depending scheduling issues. What is clear, even without a completely finalized schedule, is that it is going to be a rather busy fall, at least academically. Having to submit a SSHRC application isn't going to make things easier.

-The nice side benefit of heading into school today was that I got a chance to talk to a few people whom I hadn't seen in a while. I guess this might be a sign that I am not going in quite enough (I blame this on the fact that I don't have an office, so, presumably, my pattern will change in the very near future).

-I spent a little time cleaning in preparation for Neil and Rebecca's return. Fortunately, as I spent much of the time throwing myself a thesis party, I didn't really make that much of a mess in the rest of the apartment (my room with its stacks folders is another story). Though things were largely in order I did vacuum and apply some cleaner to the bathroom fixtures. Hopefully it meets Neil and Rebecca's exacting standards.

-A free t-shirt that I ordered from a cereal box a few weeks ago arrived today. We are expecting two more. I imagine that they will be arriving any day now.

-I made another batch of beans tonight. Fortunately, as Neil will be here, it isn't likely that they will last as long as the last batch.

-So it turns out that the discount corn chips that I mentioned yesterday are pretty stale. The good news is that they can be made edible by baking them for just a few minutes. Actually, once I did this they were some of the tastiest corn chips I have ever had.

-Oh yeah, and I came across this story from CBC. Apparently there is a school in Nova Scotia that has restricted hand sanitizer use because it might be flammable. No word yet on whether paper will be next, or maybe hair.

No comments: