Wednesday, February 14, 2007

A Few Quick Notes 62

-Another winter’s day, though this one is supposed to be marked by a snowstorm. As of yet there have only been a few snowflakes and not much sign of a storm. On the other hand, when I looked at some RADAR and satellite imagery a few minutes ago it appeared that there was a storm just to the west of Montreal. I am really hoping for a snow day, but I am running out of time (all kinds of flights are already cancelled).

-Tonight is the 25th anniversary of the loss of the Ocean Ranger. CBC just had a segment about this tragedy. One of the participants is the son of one of the lost men, though his father died before he was born (making him about a month older than me). They finished off the segment by playing the Ron Hynes’ song Atlantic Blue.

-A few days ago I learned that there is a Lutheran church in my neighborhood that offers a weekly service in German. While I am not normally a churchgoer, this does seem somewhat tempting.

-I keep waffling on whether or not I keep my beard. It was originally to be just a Christmas addition, to be removed immediately upon my return to Montreal. As it turned out, that did not happen and it is still in place. A few days ago my mind was set on its removal, but now I am not so sure. I know that it is not the world’s nicest beard, but I have always wanted a substantial beard and this is as near as I have ever come to that goal.

-A project on ‘leadership’ has been taking up a fair bit of my time these past few days. I have to come up with a few examples of ‘good leaders’ as well as a few examples of times that I have acted as a ‘leader.’ It has been taking me a huge amount of time to come up with these examples. The use of the word ‘good’ was particularly problematic as it implies some kind of value judgment. One is likely more willing to say that wider ranges of people are ‘effective leaders’ than are ‘good leaders.’

On top of that, I had a very hard time coming up with a few examples in which I have acted as a leader. I can think of a few times I have tried, but they usually end in failure.

-Neil will be arriving tomorrow, a few hours after Nithum departs.

3 comments:

Neil said...

Keep the beard at least until I go. I have a beard (or something approximating one) so that I don't have to shave while I'm on my trip.

Unknown said...

You could post a picture of your beard and we could all vote - to keep or to go. It would be nice to see both of you with your beards as a matter of fact.

Mom

Cameron said...

I was thinking the same thing. We will see what happens. I may also post a few photos that show the development of the beard over time, the only problem being that I have some school work at the moment. Maybe I will get around to it next week.