Friday, February 02, 2007

Gaz leak on St. Laurent

Earlier this afternoon I was walking along St. Laurent, making my way over to meet my father and uncle at their hotel. Just a block or so north of Sherbrooke I noticed that I was walking next to a water mane construction site and that there was a very loud noise coming from the pit. Accompanying the hissing was a strong smell. Though the employees didn’t really seem too agitated, I quickly figured out that this must be a gas leak.

As this idea was forming in my head a fire truck appeared on the scene. As I proceeded south several other fire trucks appeared. Still nothing in particular was being done to evacuate the area or prevent people from walking right next to the construction site.

When I reached the hotel I mentioned that I thought there might be a gas leak on St. Laurent. After a few minutes of preparation we headed out and approached the area. We very quickly saw that the street was now closed to traffic and that there were even more fire trucks. We also saw that there was a gas truck on the scene.

Though the street was closed to traffic pedestrians could still get pretty close to the action. So, as it was on our way, we walked towards the heart of the scene. It soon became clear that this was a pretty major operation and that for some reason the fire trucks were pumping water and had hoses out. A pretty large amount of water was flowing down the sides of the streets, though we weren’t able to see the source.

Maybe later tonight I will try to check some news sources and get official confirmation that the construction crew struck a gas line while doing routine work.

Anyway, it is likely that you read it hear first.

No comments: