Saturday, February 24, 2007

Laundry woes

Yesterday, after a good number of days I finally got around to doing some laundry. Because of the long period of time since my last trip and because I had some towel and sheet dirtying guests I had a slightly larger batch than normal.

Fortunately, none of the washers were in use when I arrived in the laundry room. I quickly loaded my coins and laundry detergent in all three. As they were filling I started some sorting. In just a few minutes all was taken care of and I was off to get a paper and a coffee.

With my coffee in hand I separated all of my non-dryables (mainly just my socks) and began the process of transferring my laundry to the driers. I immediately noticed that someone had left their laundry in my favourite drier. I was then forced to use the inferior driers. I got over my disgust pretty quickly.

With both available driers going I returned to my apartment to drink my coffee and ready my newspaper. When I felt that about an hour had elapsed I returned to the laundry room to learn that only about 50 minutes had elapsed and that one of the drier doors had popped open, causing the drier to shut off, though not having the same affect on the timer.

I quickly closed the open drier door and proceeded to become quite frustrated, mainly because my work shirts were both in the load that did not dry properly. I then remembered that they drier also goes through a 3 minute cool down period at the end of the cycle, something that wasn’t really needed with my cool damp clothing.

When the few minutes of drying did end I was able to see that it hadn’t done much. It seemed that my clothing was just about as wet as when I had put it in an hour before. I quickly slipped the wet clothing in my bag and proceeded to fold the sheets in the other drier load.

Upon returning to my apartment I quickly proceeded to spread my wet clothing all over. I had some boxers and napkins hanging from kitchen chairs, a dish towel hanging from a lamp, a towel on a radiator, some shirts in my bedroom closet, some shirts in the coat closet, and pretty broad selection of things hanging on the shower curtain rod in the bathroom. This last set had a fan trained on them to speed up the process.

My main concern was whether or not my shirt would be dry in time for work. Changing kegs is unpleasant enough as it is, I don’t even want to imagine doing it in a wet shirt. Fortunately, with the assistance the fan, my shirt was dry in time for work and my day was saved.

Another ten days and I will have to go through this all again.

No comments: