Friday, February 09, 2007

Math & Stats trivia

Last night MSgrads ran a trivia night at the Grad House. Rebecca was the host. The format was very similar to Bitters trivia, but without the trump round. We managed to get 4 teams together, which pleased me. Our team name was the math geek classic "Perfect squares" (or, as I prefer, perfect s9u4res). There were two grad student teams, an undergrad team and a prof and post-docs team. My team came second to the profs and post-doc team. We only had first places prizes, which was a round of drinks. We also offered the profs/post-docs a free drink for showing up, because we didn't think we'd get any otherwise (I think the plan worked).

Rebecca would probably like me to note that I'm biased, but I thought the hosting was great. The final scores ranged from 42.5 to 52.5 and there was no rounds where a team scored 0 and no rounds where multiple teams got 10 points (in fact I think the only 10's received needed bonuses). Also, almost every question was correctly answered by one of the teams.

The event was judged a sucess and we'll probably hold another one, although we don't know when.

I've also set up a group for MSgrads on Facebook, and I set up trivia as an event. My plan is to continue to invite the grad student body that is on Facebook that way as well, to try to get a few more people coming.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

It went okay. I enjoyed making up the questions. There was a problem with a question about cricket, but since the two people who were arguing with me have both played cricket and I haven't, I just let it go.

If we have Trivia again, I will have to by a game of trivial pursuit to get questions from, because otherwise it take up too much time.