Friday, October 03, 2008

Competitive Charity

Today we received a notice from our superintendent about a Thanksgiving food drive. Apparently all of the buildings owned by the same company in this part of town will be competing against each other to see who can give the most food (by weight) in the next week. The winning building will receive a free (Autumnal) BBQ.

Soon after I finished skimming the flier Neil informed me that he was in it to win, he didn't even consider coming in second place.

We then started strategerizing about possible paths to victory. The obvious dollar/weight winner is a 5 gallon jug of water. Unfortunately, I would imagine that this would be both disqualified and beyond the spirit of the event. It seems that things such as flour and sugar might be in bounds ethically and according to the judges. The borderline move would be to try to slip a few bottles of pop in, but not so many that it would look as though the weight was being intentionally tweaked.

Already it seems as though there are more canned goods than dry goods, indicating that others in the building are also playing the game and in it to win.

I will let you know how it turns out. (I guess I could have said "I will let you know when we will be having our BBQ.")

No comments: