Friday, October 03, 2008

A Few Quick Notes 228

-Today started off overcast, kind of like many of the other days this week, but then turned to rain in the later afternoon. Amazingly, the rain almost perfectly coincided with my walk home from school, and since then it has been dry (but still overcast). Apparently the forecast I read yesterday about sun for the rest of the rest of the week wasn't quite accurate.

-Based on further research (conducted by Neil) I feel relatively comfortable saying that Brad Kilpatrick will be playing with Holy Fuck on Q tomorrow. Unfortunately, Brad will not be with Holy Fuck when they play in Halifax on October 23 (though this hasn't discouraged Neil and I from thinking about going).

-This evening, Neil, Rebecca, and I went to see Burn After Reading at the local cinema. Though I didn't know all that much about the film before I saw it (aside from the fact that there was something about the CIA) I was quite satisfied with the experience. It was particularly nice to take an evening away from reading (though this means that I will likely have to pay for it tomorrow and Saturday).

-Thinking of reading, I seem to be spending several hours a day reading for my various classes. My guess is that this is how I will spend much of my day tomorrow.

-Several days ago I received a notice that I had been assigned a study carrel in the library. This was somewhat surprising as I hadn't asked for one (though I did want one). Today, after some number of days, I finally got around to heading to the library to pick up my key.

While the carrel isn't particularly large it is at least a place for me to leave my coat once winter hits. Also, it should be useful once I start using the library a little more.

-Funny that I should mention libraries as today I happened to check a book out for the first time this academic year. More impressive that it took me until October to do this is that I didn't check the book out from a Dalhousie library, but from the King's library (one of the nicer looking libraries I have encountered). The only problem is that I don't have the book for as long a period of time as I would had I checked it out from a Dalhousie library.

-For those of you in Halifax area tomorrow night you may be interested in knowing that Dalhousie will be hosting the first Ransom A. Myers lecture. The lecture, which is to be given by Andy Rosenberg on the future of the fisheries, will be held in the Ondaatje Auditorium in the McCain building at 7:00 PM. Ram, formerly of St. John's and DFO, studied the decline of fish stocks at Dalhousie until unfortunate passing in 2007.

[Update: This was our 500th post.]

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Congrats on 500 posts!

It is funny that you don't get the book from Kings for long. When I take out books from SMU, I get them for the same amount of time that I get them from Dal - 4 months.