Sunday, October 19, 2008

A Few Quick Notes 236

-It is presently a little overcast. Though the more noticeable feature of the weather is that the temperatures have finally dropped to just above freezing. While my computer is telling me that it is near 10 degrees this is not the case, it is really much closer to 0, as Environment Canada is reporting.

-Shortly after my mother arrived yesterday morning we went for breakfast. After breakfast we made a trip to the local farmers market. Not surprisingly, the farmers' offerings are now significantly reduced I didn't see a single stall selling celery, though most did have things like carrots and beets. Though I don't think I will be making weekly visits, I am somewhat curious to see what happens in the place in the winter (I guess the butchers and bakers can sell just as easily in the Winter as the Summer).

-On Friday night I was trying to do some reading but was particularly distracted by some of the unfounded assumptions that were made by the authors. For some reason this really distracted me and prevented me from working.

-Yesterday, in preparation for one of my classes I read an article about anarchy and was surprised by the relative size of the portion of the article devoted to religious anarchy, particularly when this didn't seem to be a particularly influential component of anarchy. Even after the reading I am not particularly convinced that I am ready to lump these groups in with the other anarchists, almost everything about their beliefs seems different than more traditional anarchist thought. I almost feel that the author had some special affinity for these groups and thus included them in his review article.

-For several hours each of the past two nights I have had the pleasure of spending a few hours reading in my library carrel. What was particularly striking about my visits to the library on these two nights was number of people present. While not every table was taken, as would be the case on a normal weeknight, enough were taken though you wouldn't be so bold as to consider yourself alone and start talking to yourself or acting erratically. Presumably if I head back tonight (which is my plan) I will find the library in a similar state.

Neil, Rebecca, and are wondering if the consistency of the library hours are what is leading to this use of the facility. Each night the library is open until 12:00. The result is that people don't have to know have to guess about when the library is open late or if it will be open. Most other academic libraries I have visited have different hours on Fridays or the weekend, something that may cause confusion among users (though of course we have no evidence to suggest that this is the case other than my observations on two nights).

No comments: