Saturday, October 04, 2008

A Few Quick Notes 229

-Today has been a rather beautiful day. The sun is out and the skies are clear. To top it all off the temperature is just about right for a nice fall day.

-Today I was thinking about going to Point Pleasant park for a walk. In the end Neil and I ended up going to the grocery store instead.

The grocery store was particularly tempting because of the wide range of meats that they had on sale. Not only did they have the more usual meats such as beef and pork on sale, but they also had turkey, duck, and lamb available at reduced prices. While we ended up only purchasing beef today I imagine that I will have to pick up some lamb and turkey before the week is over.

-As I mentioned previously, Neil is quite interested in winning the food bank donation competition. So while were were at the grocery store we picked up a few items to donate. Aside from some straight forward canned goods we picked up an 8 KG bag of rice and a 2 L bottle of apple juice. Hopefully these contributions will go a long way towards helping our building secure the victory.

-Last night I attended the Ransom A Myers Lecture at Dalhousie. When I first arrived it seemed that I was quite under-dressed, basically everyone there was in a suit (or the female equivalent). I on the other hand was wearing my 'I 'club' baby seals' shirt, a sport coat, shorts, and steel-toed boots (clearly dressed to impress). Furthermore, not only did I feel under-dressed I was somewhat worried about how my shirt would be received by the members of the audience (as it was a lecture about conserving fish stocks).

As it turned out, I was just on the early side so the only people present were the individuals running the event (including the acting Dean of Science and the speaker). As time passed the auditorium filled up quite nicely.

The event went quite smoothly. Afterwards there was a reception with free beverages (including wine) and food. As I was planning on doing some more work and as I didn't really know anyone present I decided to just have a glass of juice and head out.

-It seems that some of the bean plants have finally started to produce beans, though they are still very small. Judging by the number of blooms we may actually have beans to allow all three of us to have a taste of the harvest.

Buoyed by these modest successes, I planted 11 more bean seeds this morning. Hopefully these newly planted seeds will be as successful as their forerunners.

The other food crops really haven't been so effective when it comes to producing food. The radishes really don't seem to be fattening up, though the foliage is definitely improving. The same goes for the beets and corn, if we get anything edible from either of these I will be shocked.

-I should try to get some reading done today. I think the first agenda item will be to continue reading about new social movements and interest groups, then I will have to move on to readings about the media and politics.

No comments: