Sunday, October 26, 2008

Turkey tan lines




A few years ago I was shown a picture of a turkey that had been tampered with during the roasting process in such a way that it appeared that the turkey had tan lines. While I didn't attempt this trick on the turkey I prepared for Thanksgiving a few weeks ago (mainly because of the mild embarrassment that such a stunt might cause) I decided to give it a try on the turkey I prepared today.









To start, I arranged the turkey in the pan and then coated it with olive oil. I then cut out some tin foil pieces to lay on the turkey. Unfortunately, I didn't plan the attempt all that well and thus had a difficult time visualizing the shape of the bikini top cut-out. Once I had the cut-outs they were laid on the turkey and the turkey was placed in the oven to roast.





After the several hours of roasting time that were required the turkey was removed from the oven for consumption and examination. At first I was quite impressed to see that the tin foil seemed to be quite intact and hadn't managed to move or become damaged during the roasting process. I also learned that, unfortunately, it didn't really do all that much on the tan line front either. It seems that the tin foil had at best a minimal effect. Maybe on the next go around I need to find some way to plan a little more and think about a way to get crisper tan lines.



3 comments:

Kathy said...

I think a convection oven would work well. We can try at Christmas.

Cameron said...

It is possible, though I saw a photo of another attempt and theirs wasn't much better than mine. I am starting to think that the original image may have been photo shopped, or that there may be some kind of trick other than just putting tin foil on the bird before it is cooked.

Tropical Gardener said...

I read a post where you rub the expised area with paprika before cooking to make it darker. Acts like tanning oil.