Wednesday, October 08, 2008

A Few Quick Notes 231

-We had another nice day today in Halifax. Unfortunately, as the sun has started to set the temperatures have really begun to drop. Hopefully we will stay above freezing.

-Yesterday I had the pleasure of attending a talk in the anthropology department at Dalhousie given by an acquaintance from New York (though I met him in St. John's). The talk covered a fair bit of ground, giving me lots to think about, and included several well-placed swipes at sociology (which were well received).

After the talk I ended up joining the speaker and a number of the anthropology graduate students for coffee. While I wasn't able to contribute too much to the conversation it was informative to see how things are done in different, but related, departments.

-Last night we went over to Sobey's and purchased a turkey. Soon after we returned to our apartment Neil rammed it into the freezer. Each time the freezer is open one gets to examine the precariously balanced turkey, with its feet almost protruding from the freezer.

-I had to cram in a fair bit of reading to prepare for class today. It is likely that I will have to go through a similar experience tonight, though I can't imagine that I will be able to get as much in tonight as I did last night.

-My reading will likely be somewhat hampered because of my plans to play Ultimate with Neil's team tonight. It seems that they need an additional male player. This should be good because I have been a bit short on physical activity since I arrived, and it is nice to have a one or two social encounters a week that extend beyond my school of home lives.

-Since arriving in Halifax I have been hitting the non-alcoholic beer hard. Neil is worried that I might be turning into a non-alcoholic, and he might be right.

No comments: