Saturday, August 09, 2008

A Few Quick Notes 208

-Today has been another cool, overcast, foggy day. Fortunately the fog hasn't turned into drizzle or rain, nor has the temperature dropped into the freezing range (though I can't believe that we are that many degrees away from this state).

-This morning, as is my practice, I stopped by Georgetown Bakery for bagels. Two aspects made this trip a little different. Firstly, though she is in town, I was not joined by my sister, who instead decided to go to a sleep-over at her friend's house. Secondly, this was my friends first day as baker's apprentice at the bakery.

Though the bagels were ready a little later than usual they were just as good as I have come to expect.

-A few minutes ago I decided that I would try to watch a few minutes of the coverage of the Beijing Olympics. Though I looked for such coverage on a high definition channel, I eventually settled on the CBC coverage. Once I arrived at the channel I had to sit through about 5 minutes of adds and promotional content before I actually was shown any coverage of the event.

Once the coverage started it was men's gymnastics and all the commentary was phrased in terms of how these performances would impact the medal chances of a particular Canadian athlete. So not only was it painfully biased (and towards someone without much of a chance of winning), but it was also just poorly done.

In coverage that was clearly tape delayed all kinds of wait time was left un-cut, but then abrupt cuts between athletes made it hard to follow what was going on. It seemed as though they taped a number of non-Canadian athletes and then just spliced them together without any particular concern for continuity or flow.

After just a few minutes of coverage we were back to another long commercial break. After the commercial break they went to come kind of athlete interview segment.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

On CBC, there are other links that you could get to, that had events (including men's gymnastics) without any commentary, although Canada was not performing in this group. I think I watched some of the same coverage as you did, which was essentially just "highlights" from Canada's performances.

Cameron said...

Part of my goal in watching the coverage was to use the large screen plasma TV (of which the owner is quite proud).

That was the funny thing about the coverage, they didn't even show any Canadian athletes, just people who managed to bump a canadian out of contention.