Sunday, August 17, 2008

A Few Quick Notes 212

-Today the people of St. John's have had the pleasure of experiencing period of sun and clear skies as well as longer periods of rain and wind. Fortunately, as the day heads towards evening things seem to be better and not giving too many signs of a return to the conditions that we experienced earlier in the day.

-I have an Ultimate game on Wednesday. This game will mark the beginning of the play-offs for our team. If we lose we will be sent to some kind of consolation pool while if we win we will have a chance to play for the tier championship. Assuming I am reading thing correctly, we will be playing Mike and Andrew's team, a team we have not yet played. Hopefully things will go well and we get passable weather and a good turnout.

-My parents went out for dinner this evening. This meant that I was able to have dinner along with Kirsten. This afternoon we decided that we would have bratwursts, cauliflower, boiled carrots, and perogies.

While I prepared the sausages and cauliflower on the grill and boiled the carrots Kirsten took care of the perogies.

Things turned out remarkably well. I enjoyed all of the dishes that we prepared. I was particularly impressed with the grilled cauliflower as it was both flavourful and crunchy. Unfortunately, I don't think Kirsten sampled the cauliflower before I put the leftovers in the fridge.

-This afternoon I started to pack up my belongings at my house-sitting house. I think that, for the most part, I have managed to round most things up, with the obvious exception being those things that I will still need to use between now and my departure.

What surprised me was how much I have managed to cart over to the house in the past two and a half weeks. Clearly I still need to work on reducing my reliance on things as they seem to still have my number and follow me where ever I go.

-My beans are still showing very few signs of progress, actually I might go so far as to say they are actually looking worse than they were a few weeks ago. The reason for this depreciation is some kind of plant eating organism that seems to be eating the blooms and leaves of the plants. Some of the plants have been turned into twig like structures in just a few days.

The only exceptions to this trend are the scarlet runner beans, several of which seem to be in passable condition. Some of these plants even have a few blooms, something that will hopefully lead to them bearing fruit in the coming days.

-On Friday night my friend Peter returned a Vinyl Cafe CD set that I had loaned him some number of months ago. In the time since he returned the discs my sister has started listening to them rather aggressively. I think that she actually managed to plough her way through the entire set in about a day and a half (which is pretty good considering she was doing other things during the day and night).

Just this evening I remembered that I had another such set. As we prepared dinner we listened to a few of the stories. As I type this she is listening to the remaining stories. The only problem with this aggressive listening style is that it means that in the very near future she will have no more new content to listen to, though this is presumably a consequence that she understands.

No comments: