Sunday, August 17, 2008

I guess I should start preparing for this move

In the past few days it has finally hit me that in the very near future I will be moving to Halifax. More importantly, I have finally started to realize that I really need to start preparing for this move. In particular this means gathering the items I am hoping to move as well as acquiring those items that I need to acquire before I move.

Fortunately, starting some number of months ago, I set aside a shelf in a closet for things that I am hoping to have in Halifax. So far this shelf has accumulated a few books, some clothing, and a few kitchen related odds and ends. Unfortunately, most of the things that I will eventually pack are not anywhere near this shelf and are more likely scattered around my room or the rest of the house.

Even more problematic than the fact that my belongings are all over the place is that I no longer recall exactly what it is that I already have in Halifax. Though even if I did have a complete list of my belongings that are in Halifax I know that I would still be likely to take too many things with me. (Part of this is because I always like to have back up items, just in case I am in a situation where I can't use the item that I would normally want to use).

On the more pro-active side of things, I actually managed to make it to a store today and buy a few packages of seeds for plants that I hope to grow while I am in Halifax. While some of the seeds are admittedly foolhardy, I think that I will at least have fun with the attempts.

The six types of seeds I purchased are:

Beets - Detroit Dark Red - While I don't know that I have had beets in the past 15 years I was thinking that I would try to grow a few and then make borscht. Fortunately I should have between 50-60 days from the time of planting to actually have to figure out what it is I might want to use the beets in.

Beans - Improved Golden Wax - I think these were a good choice because I know that I really like yellow beans and I know that it is possible to grow beans inside in less than ideal sun conditions. As with all of the plants, I see space being a particular problem as I will likely need a number of pots to grow more than a handful of plants.

Corn - Early Golden Bantam - This is clearly the seed that is most unlikely to succeed of those that I purchased today. While I know that this is a long shot under the best of circumstances I am somewhat hopeful only because I witnessed the relatively remarkable growth of some corn at one of my house-sitting houses this summer. While the corn was certainly behind schedule and likely to never produce an edible ear of corn it was nonetheless a clearly identifiable corn plant, which is about all I might be able to hope for with my seed packet.

Dill - Anethum graveolens - This is something that I think might actually grow well and require only small to moderately sized pots. So I guess this means I think that this is a safer bet than some of the other seed choices I made, and of course some success would be nice. Furthermore, I think that I will actually be able to use dill, though it isn't my favourite herb.

Thyme - thymus vulgaris - This is a plant that I know can do quite well in a pot inside, and I am relatively certain that it should even be able to handle the smaller amounts of sun that it will receive in the winter. This one, like the dill, would be in the safer bet category.

Radishes - Cherry Belle - I purchased these because I am a big fan of radishes and it would seem that they are only supposed to take about three weeks to reach maturity. This means that I might even be able to grow these on the balcony before the cold weather sets in, though this might be wishful thinking.

Peppers - Yellow Hot Wax - This purchase was made with Neil in mind as I know that he is a fan of hot peppers (or at least he was in his youth). A further consideration is that I was able to germinate pepper seeds in Montreal indoors in the spring under less than ideal conditions. Presumably these will be as allow growing as the bell peppers that I planted in Montreal, meaning that I shouldn't even hope to have anything before Christmas.

I have also made plans to take clippings from a few of my mother's plants just before I leave. I am particularly looking forward to growing a succulent plant that has green rain-drop like leaves on branches that gracefully hang from the side of the plant's pot (assuming that the plant is large enough to extend beyond the sides of the pot). More recently I have been looking forward to taking a papyrus clipping, though my excitement has been somewhat tempered by my relative lack of success when it came to making papyrus from the shoots of this plant earlier this summer.

Of course none of these seeds or plants will work if I don't manage to acquire pots and potting soil, something I haven't yet arranged with Neil or Rebecca. Another concern might be my desire to fill the apartment with an unmanageable number of pots and planters, something else that I have not really discussed with Neil or Rebecca.

No comments: