Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A Few Quick Notes 210

-Though we started the day with overcast skies and high humidity,
things seemed to have turned around. Instead of the mid-day
thundershowers that were predicted we seem to have the clearing skies
that were called for later in the day.

I just hope that this holds until about 8:30 this evening.

-I have my second Ultimate game of the week this evening. Tonight we
will be playing at the slightly sloped Brother Egan field. As it
happens, this is our last game of regular season play. At some point
in the coming days we will have to figure out our play-off position
and schedule.

-Last night, for the first time this summer, a few of us went to the
Rose and Thistle for their weekly trivia night. While we didn't win I
think we put in a respectable showing, and I know that I had a very
good time.

As much as a fan of Bitters' trivia, I am becoming more convinced that
the Rose and Thistle format is better. Having only questions allows
for a more relaxed pace. Additionally, the starting hour can be later
and the finishing hour earlier. Also, by counting down from 30 until
a winner is found is a very effective way of creating suspense among
the participants.

-According to the 1982 Report on the Births Marriages and Deaths in
the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador the rate of illegitimate
births (per 1000 births) rose from 113.0 to 196.1 between 1973 and
1982. It seems that this is the last year that these statistics were
included in this particular report.

-Last night Mike made a comment about wanting to sign up to a personal
newsletter, if I actually had one. I was then able to remind him that
I do have a blog, and the blog is set-up in such a way that it will
send subscribers daily email updates. While I think he found the
comment amusing and informative, I am not sure if he was persuaded to
sign up for the daily email (even though it is a great way to keep up
with all the goings on at Montifax).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Montifax suddenly started appearing in my gmail account. I can't remember if I signed up for it, but I must have. However, I certainly didn't sign up for it within a few days before I started receiving the emails. Wierd.

In any case, it is a great way to keep up with what's on the go in Montifax. But shouldn't it soon be Halifax?

Cameron said...

It seems that for some reason Gmail (and presumably other email providers) sometimes treat the daily emails as junk, but on other occasions let them go through. I know that for an extended period of time they were going to my junk box but them all of a sudden started appearing in my inbox again.

There has been some discussion about the name, and how my move to Halifax might affect it. I am inclined to leave things the way they are, particularly as we have built up so much loyalty to and affection for the 'Montifax' name (and brand).

More importantly, I have grown attached to the name and location and am thus inclined to leave them as they are. The name draws me back to the founding of the blog and the circumstances surrounding the founding, a connection that would be lost if we decided to change the name.

I should also note that having the name that we do is quite good if you are searching for us by name. We are one of the only sites that Google indexes that includes the word 'Montifax,' this advantage would likely be lost if we changed the name.