Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A Few Quick Notes 209

-While the temperature has remained moderate these past few days the
fog has certainly not been even close to moderate. At the moment it
is hard to see from one end of a moderately sized parking lot to the
other. Amazingly, only a few flights seem to be delayed.

-In the most recent issue of the Scope it is reported that with the
addition of a new Tim Hortons there will be 11 such stores in the
city. As soon as I read this I was taken aback, without more than a
minute or two of thinking I was able to come up with at least 12 such
stores (and that wasn't including the new one). To confirm my hunch I
checked the phone book and confirmed that there are certainly more
than 10 such sites. The Tim Hortons website goes so far as to suggest
that there are close to thirty sites in the St. John's metropolitan
area.

-Last night we had our first Ultimate game of the week. The game was
a make-up for a game that was originally scheduled some number of
weeks ago. Though we were winning by several points for much of the
game the opposing team did gain a fair bit of ground in the second
half. Fortunately, we were close enough to 15 that even with our
diminished rate of scoring we were still able to hold on for the win.

We have another game this Wednesday. After our second game this week
I am not sure how many more games we have as part of the regular
season, this might be the last one.

-While my bean plants seem to still be alive they don't seem to be
growing at the same rate they were in July. Presumably the lack of
sun and heat that we have been experiencing has negatively impacted
their development.

At this point I am pretty sure that if they ever do manage to produce
beans it will be well after I have departed for the summer. Actually,
the one bean that I did spot seems to have vanished.

-In the past few days I have had some good celery. This is a nice
change as the celery that I have been able to get up to this point
this summer has been somewhat inferior. Both texture and flavour have
been problematic and not up to my exacting standards (and that is not
to mention that the price tends to be triple what I am used to paying
at Lobos in Montreal).

-I recently learned that some Google Alerts also cover blog posts.
This means that people could be accessing Montifax, or any other blog
for that matter, because of their interest in a word or set of words
that Neil or I use in a post. While I guess this capability is
something that I should have expected it has thrown me for a loop
(though this may be because I know that this feature has likely drawn
a particular person's attention to this blog at one time or another).
Anyway, I guess I guess I should be used to this concept, maybe I
should even start throwing in words that will likely draw traffic (as
high readership is clearly one of our overriding goals with this
blog).

No comments: