Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Printing in Firefox 3: Where is Mozilla?

It seems that a number of people have been having problems printing with Firefox 3. I know that I started having problems today when I was automatically upgraded to 3.0.1. The problem that I experienced, and that others seem to be having, is that instead of the text printing it is transformed into a multitude of seemingly randomly organized characters.

Not surprisingly this has been a hot topic in the Firefox support forums since June, 2008. Some such threads have had almost 3000 views and many replies.

More striking than there being a problem with a new piece of software is that this particular problem is not noted by Mozilla in the "Known Issues" section of their Firefox 3.0.1 Release Notes. I find it peculiar that something of this magnitude would slip by without note, particularly when it has the ability to drastically diminish the
productivity of users.

While there seem to be patched-together fixes that have been discovered by users (and that work for some users) I have yet to see any evidence that Mozilla has issued a formal fix, or even officially acknowledged the problem. Though it may not be called for, this situation is making me a little more hesitant when it comes to whole-hearted support for Mozilla and their products (as good as they may seem at first glance). Hopefully they can get on this problem and regain my confidence (something that could largely be accomplished by an acknowledgement of the problem.

No comments: