Tuesday, September 02, 2008

A Few Quick Notes 217

-Just like the past few days, today has been a mix of periods of overcast skies and periods of clear skies. Fortunately, the periods of overcast skies haven't brought too much rain with them today. Unfortunately, during the overcast and clear periods it seems to be quite humid.

-It has been so humid in Halifax these past few days I feel as though I haven't stopped sweating since I arrived. This is a particularly unpleasant feelings, and somewhat surprising as it really isn't all that hot outside.

-Last night a friend from St. John's stayed with us. While he was he played a game of Cities and Knights with Neil and I. As one might have expected, Neil ended up winning the game. Amazingly our guest gave Neil a very good run for his money and I might have had more of a chance had I not accidentally allowed myself to lose a city. Though I didn't do particularly well I am glad that I got a chance to play Cities and Knights for the first time in some number of years. Hopefully we will be able to manage to get time for a few more games in the near future.

-Since I have been in Halifax I have been sleeping on an assortment of pads and mats stacked on top of each other. Not surprisingly, this isn't really an ideal long-term bed situation, though it is surprisingly comfortable in the short term.

In an attempt to rectify this situation Neil and I went out to a nearby store that sells cheap mattresses. While the mattresses seemed to be pretty passable, I was a little disappointed to learn that they were charging $159. This price, while likely quite reasonable, seemed to be on the high side. In the end I decided not to buy one, though maybe a few more weeks on a makeshift bed will convince me to get my act together and cough up the $159 for a real mattress.

-Neil and I did a pretty ridiculous amount of grocery shopping today. First we made our way over to the Sobey's for a number of sale items, as well as a few general purchases.

After we returned to the apartment and dropped off our purchases we made our way back out, this time to head to the Atlantic Superstore, for more sale purchases and general shopping.

Hopefully this means that we will be able to go at least a day or two without heading to the grocery store, a streak that would be a Halifax record for me.

No comments: