Thursday, September 18, 2008

Instant books are coming to a library near you (if you live in Ann Arbor, Michigan)

It seems that the University of Michigan will be introducing technology that will allow individuals to request, and receive within minutes, printed and bound copies of digitized, out-of-copyright books for a reasonable price. Interestingly, the machine will be associated with the library, what this means I don't quite know.

While I won't go as far as the manufacturer of the technology and say that its impact will be comparable to that of Gutenberg's, I do think that it has the potential to do some pretty impressive things. I guess over time we will see if this type of technology manages to take-off, or it is a high-technology solution that problem that is less of a problem in the digital environment (that this technology is dependent on digitized works that are already available leads me to believe that this may be the case).

No comments: