Friday, September 19, 2008

A Few Quick Notes 223

-Today was a pretty beautiful day, though I wasn't really able to take advantage of the above average weather. One thing that is noticeable is that the temperatures are starting to drop as fall approaches. Right now one would likely want a jacket if they had to spend a prolonged period of time outside.

-The baby shower Rebecca will be hosting at our apartment is to take place tomorrow afternoon. Though I previously mentioned an aversion to baby shower games it seems that they have somehow crept onto the agenda (this may be been because of constant badgering on the topic).

Along with the scheduling, progress is also being made on the food side of things. During a break from school work I made some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, and during another break I made a batch of humus. Rebecca is presently in the midst of making a layered ice ring for the punch. Neil and I have also made plans to make bacon wrapped scallops before we head out.

-Several days ago Rebecca told Neil and I that she had witnessed two of the neighbourhood boys jumping on the closed dumpster just outside our apartment. This afternoon, while sitting at my desk studying, I heard what sounded like a man peeing against a building. Soon after looking through my window I was able to see that I wasn't too far off in my assessment of the sound, instead of it being a man it was a young boy (he was peeing on an out-building associated with the neighbouring apartment building). Soon after he finished urinating he and a friend, who until then had been out of sight, began to climb on the dumpster and jump up and down on the lids. They started to jump from the top of the out building over an opening in the dumpster to one of the lid segments. Fortunately neither of the kids fell into the dumpster during their play session. I was also glad that it didn't last too long as it was rather loud and distracting.

-Today I read a section of Lord Durham's 1839 report about the governance of Upper and Lower Canada. I was somewhat shocked to read that he seemed to be advocating the 'execution' and 'obliteration' of French Canadian society, particularly when some of the recommendations would seem to accommodate the simultaneous existence of two or more cultures (particularly if they inhabited mutually exclusive territories).

-Tomorrow morning Neil and I are hoping to head to the local farmer's market. One reason for going is to get us out of bed at a reasonable time, though I should note that I am going with the intention of buying some celery, and possibly some onions.

-I should get back to work. I would like to read a few more things before I call it a night.

Tomorrow will be more of the same, reading and writing from dawn to dusk (or at least that is what I am imagining 3 hours of work will feel like).

No comments: