Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A mouse in the house

Several minutes ago I returned from a brief shopping excursion to find that Neil had discovered a mouse in our apartment. By the time I had returned from the store Rebecca had sequestered herself in one of the bedrooms and Neil and the superintendent's husband had laid several traps.

In the minutes after my return Neil and I were able to listen to the mouse gnawing away at something. We both suspect that the mouse somehow made it into the wall behind the kitchen cabinets and now doesn't know how to get out.

As I write this Neil is buying several more mouse traps. The plan is to surround the possible escape paths so that the mouse isn't able to make from the cabinet area alive. Hopefully the mouse decides to try and head out the way he went in so that our plan will work. If the mouse is successful with his gnawing mission we may have a reduced sense of possible escape paths.

Some of you may be wondering how we happened to get a mouse in our apartment. While we don't know exactly what happened, there is a suspicion that it came in through the front door when some new tenants were moving in on the weekend. I am quite please that the superintendent hasn't accused me of bringing it with me in my boxes, a accusation that was leveled at Nithum and I last year.

Hopefully the situation will be resolved quickly, particularly as this gnawing is quite loud and distracting.

No comments: