Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A Few Quick Notes 220

-The weather seems to have finally turned the corner and started to improve. Fortunately, with the increase of sun we have also had a decrease in heat, making the days much easier to tolerate. As far as I know this is what is to be expected for much of the rest of the week.

-Things have definitely started at school. As of this morning I have had all three of my classes, finalized my TA assignment, and secured an RA position. Along with all of these responsibilities comes a pile of reading, a pile that I hope to be able to make my way through in a reasonable fashion.

-Yesterday, while grocery shopping, I purchased a banana plant. While the plant is quite small, and in a small pot, it appears to be healthy and alive. What I don't know about the plant is whether it is the type of banana plant that might be expected to produce bananas at some stage (presumably once I transfer it to a pot of a reasonable size). I guess I will wait to see how it does in the coming days.

-Our comedy club experience last Thursday was pretty good. All of us managed to get in for a total of $12, a pretty fair price. Almost as soon as things got under way we learned that the advertised headliner wasn't going to be appearing but that we would be seeing about four comics through the night.

While the emcee had his ups and downs all three of us really enjoyed the other three comedians. Rebecca, who was a little hesitant at the begining of the night, seemed quite interested in seeing one of the comics when he comes back to headline a show in a few weeks time.

I should also say that the drinks were reasonably priced, which wasn't what we expected. Unfortunately we did experience two problems with the drinks. Firstly, the beer selection was very limited. The bar stocked only 6 types of beer, all of which were distributed by a single national brewery. Secondly, Rebecca's cola was off, so off that it didn't even smell like cola. Because the first one was so off we didn't go back for a second so we don't know if what we experienced was part of a trend or was a one-off incident.

No comments: