Saturday, September 27, 2008

Voter Turnout in Canada

Earlier today I happened to be reading an article that discussed voter turnout trends in Canada. Unfortunately, the article was about 10 years old so many of the more recent elections weren't included, for obvious reasons, in the discussions.

I wondered what had happened in the more recent elections and thought that I might try to find the newer numbers. Fortunately, a quick Google search turned up what I was looking for, a table of the turnout rates from 1867 to 2006.

What I was most surprised to see was that while we have recently had relatively low turnouts, these numbers aren't all that much lower than turnout rates in the pre-WWII era. Even more shocking is that Canada has never had a particularly impressive turnout rate (nothing over 80%), nor have they had anything below half.

No comments: