Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Indoor Gardening

A few days ago I planted a number of types of vegetables and herbs. So far I have been amazed at the rapidity of the growth that has occurred.

The yellow beans that I planted have been productive. Since the seeds started to sprout a few days ago they have been literally growing centimeters a day. Strangely the stalks seem to be particularly tall, though not particularly leafy. Presumably the leafs will start to show themselves in the coming days.

Possibly most surprising of the seeds to have sprouted is the corn. So far several shoots have popped up, some of which are now showing the early stages of leaves. Hopefully the onset of winter (and the corresponding shortening of the days) won't be too much of a problem for the corn, though I am pretty sure that won't be the case.

The radishes seem to also have a high germination rate. Unfortunately I didn't do a particularly good job at ensuring even spacing in the planter so I now have a number plants almost on top of each other. I guess I might try to plant a few more of these in a few days so that I will have a somewhat continual harvest system going.

In the same planter as the radishes I also planted some beets. These too seem to be rather clumped together, though in this case I took much more effort to properly space the seeds. Fortunately most of these seeds have sprouted already, though the growth hasn't been spectacular or impressive.

On the herb front I have been having mixed success. The chives that I planted seem to be doing quite well, though a number of the shoots have taken odd turns in their growth. The thyme that I planted seems to have been involved in some mass die-off today. I suspect the cause of the death is due to the moisture of the soil, which has been pretty high because of the high level of humidity and the low level of direct sunlight.

The only seeds that haven't yet sprouted are the two types of peppers that I planted. As I know that these typically take some period of time to germinate I am not worried at this stage. If nothing happens in a weeks then I might start to worry.

No comments: